The website load speed is a crucial issue of resource optimization. The metric affects:
- The time that the user spent on the resource;
- Refusal rate;
- Organic search position;
- Cost per click on paid searches.
The large images and big video content size are the main reason for page load slowdown. Google uses PageSpeed Insights to recommend a list of solutions to optimize media files. Among such solutions:
- Use lazy loading.
We will discuss the last option in this article.
What Is Lazy Loading?
Lazyload js is a solution that optimizes the loading speed of media content. That content is not critical for page rendering or visitor interactions. The plugin itself implements the correct loading of images in terms of SEO. The original WordPress functionality loads a white point into the src-attribute. The white dot is an empty image. Loading the correct image into the src-attribute at once is necessary for proper image indexing in such search engines as Google and Yandex. And use the src-set attribute for the correct operation of the lazy load. The module uses the Lozad library. The library performs lazy image loading according to the recommendations of the search engines.
In practice: the user opens a page, then observes the first screen with text content and media. The page does not load completely. That is why the initial page view opens as quickly as possible. You can load each subsequent part of the resource by scrolling. It is called lazy loading.
Loading a resource has an extreme impact on the situation of website promotion in search engines. Displaying relevant websites to the user and loading each suggested page fast both matter for the search engine.
Lazyload js also provides the ability to reduce or distribute server load significantly, which is especially true for websites containing numerous images or other media.
Principles of resource visitors’ interactions with webpages divide lazy loading into different types.
- Scroll. It is the most popular option. The user only needs to keep scrolling to download the next piece of content. This type is very user-friendly. It does not require additional actions and manipulations. Also, you can implement an “endless” page. The best example is a social network feed, where content is replaced by another and can go on almost indefinitely.
- Click. Reaching the last point of the page, the user will see a click suggestion that will display the next part of the page. Online stores, aggregators, or catalogs often use this lazyload type.
- Background loading. The method is similar to scrolling. Initial loading of the first screen implements it. And while the visitor is viewing the proposed block, the rest of the page is loaded in the background. Sometimes this helps to improve behavioral factors because when scrolling, you can see page-flipping glitches, and background loading is the solution to the problem. It is significant when there are large-sized pictures on the web pages. However, in such cases, only necessary elements for users load on the resource.
How to Implement Lazyload Correctly: A Few Best Practices
- Make sure the Google crawler can index the content.
- If you are starting to implement infinite scrolling, provide the ability to load content by page. It will allow users to return to the previous page.
- You can test Lazyload using the Puppeteer script and the Node.js library. You can create a screenshot demonstrating the provision of downloadable content for visitors and crawlers by the program.
There is one of the main issues. Search robots do not index some content. It leads to a drop in traffic from the search engine results, both for each web page and the entire resource. You should test the plugin after implementing the technology by a specific script to exclude such a case. Google Recommendations will provide more details. Do not forget to make sure every major browser supports Lazyload.
Lazyload by Centum-D
Centum-D web studio provides an opportunity for everyone to download the plugin and set it to your standards for free. Our professionals worked out the plugin for universal purposes. It means that anyone can make their website work dramatically more efficiently and faster.